Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My Thoughts on Tuesday, June 8, 2010

It is the second day of my summer vacation. I love the time it affords me to catch up on things I need to do at home. I also love the time it gives me to reflect on the really important things in life. Now that I have discovered how to blog I need to write them down. Just recently I read one of my friend's stories written for a college paper. She wrote it in a way where she would talk about her life, her struggles, her joys, and then her ancestor's going back and forth between the two. As I read I shared with her and recalled stories in my past and interestingly enough became very connected on a new level with my friend and her ancestor. I enjoyed finding out how similar the three of us really are, but more importantly, I realized that if we share with others who we are and how we think and what we experience we stay part of their lives and their children's lives. And since I have a deep and abiding faith that we are here to prove our worthiness to return to our Father in Heaven and be part of a much larger family we need to stay connected and to learn from each other as we venture through our lives.

This is why I am writing in my blog today. Nothing really big happened yesterday. As a matter of fact, I spent most of the day at home sewing. Even though that seems sort of ordinary it really isn't and I will talk about that later. However, I began the day having part of my family here, something that I always love. Ted Warren, Melissa, and my two granddaughters, Madison, and Eva came for a little visit and laundry catch up! I love their laundry because they come with piles and piles and I know that it will take a whole day for Melissa to wash it. Because it takes a whole day, they usually spend the night as well so because of that laundry I get to play with and enjoy my grandchildren! So fun!

Maddie is such a character! She has an insatiable curiosity and is always on the move. When she sees me in the morning she literally comes running with open arms. That in itself is heartwarming. She watches as I put on my make up and explores my drawers...and then my closet...and back to my drawers. I say drawers, but it is really only one that I allow her to get into. She pulls items out, looks at them, says something about them in her own language, and then tries to put them back, and, of course, they are put back in Maddie's own order which is not the same as Grandma's. I usually have to rearrange that drawer every time I get these little visits. But, I enjoy every minute of it! Yesterday, she watched as I put on deodorant. She looked at me and then pulled up her shirt so she could have some on like Grandma. So, I thought, okay, it won't hurt her so I started to roll it on her. It was cold, she squealed and that was all she needed! Then she was off to something new to explore.

Eva is cuddly and sweet. She loves to sit on the floor and play with blocks. She watches everything around her. She has a heart warming smile and smiles frequently. She looks at me with big green eyes and I just want to be able to ask her what she is thinking. She looks so intense as she explores her world.

Before Ted, Melissa, and the girls left to return to Santa Cruz, we visited with Mom & Dad. Dad is beginning to have more signs of dementia but still knows who we are. The visit was a beautiful experience. The babies bring such joy to my parents and once again Maddie darts from place to place trying to discover what new and fun things are in my parent's apartment. Eva sits and smiles and warms their hearts.

I return home to sew and I am beginning to panic about needing to get back to my project even as I write this blog. I am sewing my dress for Brent and Heidi's wedding in Hawaii in just two weeks now. But, in addition to my dress, I am taking in Melissa's dress and making a shrug for Michelle and a jacket for my dress. Yikes! All of this sewing is important and I am getting great joy out of it, panic also comes along with this, but as I think about the purpose in it I love doing it.


1 comment: