Friday, June 18, 2010

Family in Hawaii

June 18, 2010

I woke up this morning to the sound of my granddaughter Madison playing downstairs in our condo in Hawaii, such a pleasant sound. To give everyone else the time to sleep, I decided to take my two babies on a walk. We walked the grounds at Turtle Bay and up to the hotel. It is hard to describe the beauty of Hawaii, especially in the morning. It is sort of something you just have to experience. It is more than the scenery, which is exquisite, it's the sounds of the ocean and birds and rustling leaves of trees blowing in the trades. Then there is the smell, mostly of Plumeria and the way the air feels like a warm bath. You can't explain it, you just have to feel it.

Yesterday was a day of fun on the beach. We went to Waimea where Ted Warren, Michelle and Scott decided they needed a little adventure so they went cliff jumping. The cliffs at Waimea are about 40-50 feet high and go right into the ocean. It is a popular spot for locals and daring tourists. All three of them had great jumps into the waiting ocean water and decided to head for the caves. I think they wanted more adventure! The caves are a short swim from the cliffs. Pretty soon all three of them entered the cave. I decided I needed a better look so I had to climb the lava rocks to get to them. My motherly instincts kicked in as I watched the waves roll in and out, some of them much larger and more powerful than I wanted them to be. Like I said I was just being a mother because if I was 30 years younger I would be right in there with them. It was a thrill I am sure!

Later, we went to our favorite local restaurant called Hukilau Cafe for lunch. They serve two heaping scoops of rice, maccaroni salad and whatever else you order. My favorite is garlic shrimp; Ted's is a combination of skirt-steak, mahi-mahi, and shrimp. This is definitely Polynesian style. What we love best about Hukilau Cafe is the hospitality. Every time we go, we are welcomed as locals which is synonymous with family. It is one of those places where everyone who goes there knows everyone else and all the workers. We usually leave with a full stomachs and hugs and kisses from the staff.

After lunch we decided to visit Ted Warren's old "stomping grounds" at BYUH. He visited with one of his favorite professors, Dr. MacArthur. Ted, Michelle, Scott, and I wandered around the campus and into the bookstore for about an hour waiting for Ted Warren. When we finally pulled Ted away from his old professor we took a drive to Laiea Point. All I can say about this is it is breathtaking and amazing.

Today I am working on this post as Ted Warren, Michelle, and Scott are snorkeling and probably exploring caves at Sharks Cove. My husband is doing a little business in Haliewa, Melissa is taking a much needed rest in the sun, poolside. Madison is taking a nap and Eva is playing with toys on the floor next to me. We are waiting for Brent and Heidi to arrive today. Their wedding is on Wednesday. I am sure that things will get hectic as we wait for friends and relatives to arrive from the mainland and we get closer to the wedding, but for now, I am enjoying the peace, the quiet, and the beauty of Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment