Tuesday, May 25, 2010

It is an absolutely beautiful morning in Maui! It is just before sunrise and as I sit on my balcony enjoying the amazing view I am trying to recall what I did yesterday to share with you. I hope that you all can live vicariously through the moment. But, before I tell you about yesterday, I have to tell you about my view. I am on the 7th floor of The Four Seasons which in itself is an amazing experience. I look directly out at the top of a palm tree, you know one of those long skinny types with all the fronds located just on the top of the tree. As I gaze beyond the tree I see all kinds of treetops, mostly plumaria but other species that I don't have names for. Beyond the trees I see the beach, a volcanic reef and then the ocean. Since Maui has an unusual shape to it, I can also see another part of the island beyond the my view of the ocean. The temperature is perfect and the birds are all singing. I suppose they are enjoying waking up to the sights as much as me.

Okay yesterday, I woke up to pretty much the same experience as I am having this morning. Ted had a meeting that he needed to attend before our adventures but joined me as I ate an outdoor breakfast (Belgium waffle) on the veranda at the restaurant in the hotel, lovely location, fantastic view. But pretty much anywhere you go in this hotel the sights and sounds are beaufiful.

After he left for his meeting and I finished my breakfast I wandered up to the Serenity Pool (one of three pools) where the pool is long narrow and has an invisible line into the ocean. The pool is only 4 ft. deep in most spots with areas that are only 6 inches deep where rows of jets push bubbles out that float to the surface. When you are underneath the water you can hear music but when you are laying out in the sun you just hear the soft sounds of the bubbles and the nature around you. One of the requirements of spending adult time in this pool is that you have cell phones turned on vibration only and if you get a call you text instead of talk. I enjoyed my time reading, relaxing and trying to figure out how to do a blogspot. It was all enjoyable.

After spending time at the Serenity Pool a friend of mine, Suzanne Kerry, and I decided to take a little excursion into Lahaina. We only had about two hours in town and there was so much to see and so many little stores to visit that it almost became a race to see what we could accomplish. I am not much of a shopper but when I am in a town like Lahaina I can enjoy the experience. I wasn't really looking for anything but a pair of shorts to wear over my bathing suit for today's excursion a snorkeling trip on a catameran. I accomplished this quickly because there are tons of shorts in all kinds of sizes and all I wanted was something very basic anyway. But, because I wasn't really looking, I was finding things I really liked. I went into one store called Serendipity where I found a pants outfit that suits the Islands perfectly. Since Brent and Heidi are getting married in Oahu next month and we are hosting a little dinner party before the wedding, I justified getting this outfit. I'm glad I did. My philosophy is when you aren't looking for it and you find it, you better get it or you will think about it forever.

As we were returning in the bus I discovered that I had left my sunglasses somewhere in Lahaina. Fortunately, Suzanne had her phone that could get the internet up to find the number of Serendipity to see if I left them there. Sure enough, I did. I called and they will send them to another one of their stores much closer to our hotel. But it will probably be tomorrow before I can actually get the glasses so that left me with a dilemma for today's outing. I have to have glasses for our sailing trip. So, when I arrived at the hotel I checked to see if they had loaners. This hotel is pretty amazing that way. They didn't but they offered to have me driven back to an ABC store, for those of you who haven't had a chance to visit the islands, that is a store everywhere in the islands for tourists. They supply all kinds of touristy things at much more reasonable prices than the fancy hotels. So I got my new, cheap glasses, and returned to the hotel in time to get ready for the dinner event.

The dinner event was held in a golf resort. The chef at this restaurant is supposed to be the finest and is advertise that way in Maui. The dinner was amazing but the dessert is what I want to tell you about. It was a chocolate parfait but served in a cup made of chocolate. It was incredible!

I am rushing a little now to get this posted because Ted is telling me we need to go get breakfast before we head back to the harbor for our snorkeling trip so more later. When I figure out how to do pictures I will post them too!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, it's your first post on you blog! I'm so glad you figured it out. I think you'll really enjoy it. Sounds like you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey mum, I love this...we need pics now. I'll teach you how to upload them! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My greatest fans...they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such fun! I'm glad Scott sent me the link, because even when I typed in exactly what he sent, for some reason, it doesn't come up. But now--Voila!! Glad you found an amazing outfit and got some glasses....

    ReplyDelete